Monday, April 7, 2008

He Does It With Just One Hand...

On Friday night, we had the tremendous privilege of attending Elephant Man, directed by Deb Failla. That's right, MY Deb! And she is a true artist!

I'd never seen a live production of EM before, but I'm glad my first was Deb's show. Of course, all the rest will pale by comparison, but what the hell? It was brilliant! I could go into a synopsis of the play, but I'd rather share the experience. The Elmwood Playhouse is small (it seats 99), and instead of theater-in-the-round, it's got an ally way of sorts. The seating ascends on either side of a big, open gap in the middle of the room. A creative director, like Deb, knows exactly how to use this to her advantage. I'm not sure how to describe the magic, but every emotion was mirrored across the theater, either by the characters or the audience members on the opposite side.

Additionally, the actors were spectacular. And a really nice group of people to boot! When Rick Apicella, who played the lead, "transformed" into John Merrick, the entire audience was transfixed. It was so brilliant, if Deb had gone the make-up route (which she wouldn't have because she's too clever), the entire scene, and consequently the rest of the play, would've lost its marvel. Rick was utterly and brilliantly convincing as Merrick. The rest of the cast was equally talented. In the scene when Mrs. Kendal sees John for the first time, Tiffany M. Card stood perfectly still, EXCEPT for the vibrating feather in her hair. I couldn't see her face, but I knew her expression. Absolutely phenomenal!!!

So many other details added up to a truly unequaled experience in community theater. I wonder why this show isn't Off-Broadway™. :S However, having said that, perhaps it IS comparable to my first theater experiences at Hale Center Theater in, of all places, Orem, Utah. I remember being so astounded by the brilliance of the plays I saw, I was baffled by their presence in my tiny community. They should have been on Broadway, I thought. That was the place for such talent.

And it still should be. However, big names have taken the place of good talent. And while I enjoyed Legally Blond the movie, I sure as hell don't want to see a musical about it. Clay Aiken in Spamelot? No thanks.

I encourage all of you who appreciate the theater to check out a local venue. You never know what magnificent talent you'll find there. Unfortunately, you only get Deb's unique touch in New York. ;)

No comments: