Thursday, April 10, 2008

Take Me Out To The Ball Game!!


Sunday was arguably the patriotic high of my life. A Yankees game AT YANKEE STADIUM! Not only is it cool because it's the Yankees, but this is the last season of the stadium itself. Also, I got to go with my favorite fella, a hardcore baseball fan.

We took the train to Harlem from Tarrytown, and the subway into The Bronx. As soon as we stepped out of the station, the excitement rushed over the game-going crowd. We entered the park just like you'd enter any stadium, but knowing it was The House That Ruth Built™ made it magical. I remember wondering about all the people who'd been there in those halls and seats, to see a baseball game on a Sunday afternoon just like that one. I thought of the fathers and sons who'd been going to games for generations. It pained me to see one father/son duo in the section next to us whose former half kept leaving the boy to buy souvenirs. I could tell the kid just wanted to spend time with his dad at a game. On the one hand, I was sad. On the other, I felt so lucky to be married to man who I knew would recognize that excitement in his children. He was in fact, at that moment, enjoying this simple game as if it were his first.

We ate hot dogs, peanuts, and yes even Cracker Jacks™. It was a bona fide baseball going experience. After the game, we headed down the street to grab a genuine slice of New York style pizza. Boffo!

It wasn't an historical game. Aside from the two run homer Hideki Matsui hit in the 4th inning, and the brilliant double play by Derek Jeter later on, it was fairly run-of-the-mill. However, we'll remember it for the rest of our lives.

No comments: