Friday, March 14, 2008

Change in all things is sweet*

In about a week, I'm dread-locking my hair. Well, strictly speaking, my husband and my niece will be locking it. There's a lot of it, and it will take several hours. It's definitely at least a two man job. At any rate, it's a big change, and one I'm very much looking forward to. (Forward to which I am looking? Meh, whatever.)

I am a supporter of change. (Not in a politiciany kind of way. I'm not running for office. Ever.) Implementing change in my everyday life is apparently something I do often, and fairly well, I think. I hadn't really noticed the frequency of these alterations until my husband pointed it out yesterday when I made my hair decision. I also hadn't really noticed that these things generally manifest themselves in the form of hair styles. About three years ago, I had my hair bleached and dyed pink, and quite often after I've grown my hair out very long, I get a very short hair cut. I guess it's a safety net, of sorts, since it will grow back to it's previous magnificence eventually. Hur hur. I suppose I'm just not suited for monotony. I'm a happy person in general, but I find I only possess the ability to challenge myself when life throws me a curve ball. However, I can't just sit around waiting for the pitcher, I've got to fire up the pitching machine every now and then. I heart baseball analogies.

This frame of mind probably stems from my childhood experiences (don't they all?). I was quite young when my father was diagnosed with cancer and had his leg amputated, resulting in his inability to support our family the only way he ever knew how (he had been a butcher since he was 15). Unfortunately (as if cancer isn't unfortunate enough to deal with), my mother was so set on returning our lives to "normalcy", she became incapable of making adjustments to start a new life. At the time, of course, we all wanted things to be the way they were. However, over time her obsession made it difficult to acclimate to anything. Even when I moved out in college (which is not necessarily unusual for adult children to do), it seemed to cripple her. I had decided before that, but confirmed at the time, that I would never let the status quo decide what I do with my life. It was scary at first, with no guidance, but I was triumphant. And it was all due to the little changes I made on a daily basis.

I realize that change is not an easy thing to embrace. It is, however, inevitable. And whether you force it or not, change can be a wonderfully exciting thing. It doesn't have to be big or traumatic or even profound, but if you let change into your life, you might just learn a thing or two about who you are and who you're meant to be.

Quotes on change:

There is nothing permanent except change. - Heraclitus

Only in growth, reform, and change, paradoxically enough, is true security to be found. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

It is never too late to become what you might have been. - George Eliot

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery. ~Harold Wilson

It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory. ~W. Edwards Deming

When you are through changing, you are through. ~Bruce Barton

They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom. ~Confucius

We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves. ~Lynn Hall



*Aristotle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Change is very good especially if the result makes you happier in the long run. Your dread locking has inspired me to grow out my hair and possibly dye it!

Talula the Two-Dollar-Hooker said...

I love my dreads. And I love you too, Julie! I can't wait to see what you do with your hair, Ang. You're totally boffo!