Sunday, March 9, 2008

This Weekend Rocked My Ass!

This weekend, hubby and I were lucky enough to be kid free. Can you guess what we did? We sat around watching TV.

This seems to be a trend with us. Even though there are plenty of times when we have something planned that requires a kid free period of time, when given the opportunity to randomly do something when the kids are gone, we opt to loaf. Or veg. Or whatever other food groups the situation warrants.

I'm not really sure if that makes us "old" or lazy. Perhaps it's just how it is when you're a parent. Once all the energy required to properly rear a child has been depleted, and the environment is suddenly quiet and zen(ish), it's natural to sit around and do "nothing". Bringing order to chaos is a taxing job, so relentless it feels like a reward to lounge in your favorite chair, and maybe even take a nap. GASP!

There is one thing that bothers me about lazing around while the kids are gone. I feel like I should be taking advantage of the time by reorganizing the disaster the shorties inevitably leave in their wake. Let me explain further. I don't feel this way because I give a shit about repairing the state of, well, disrepair. It's because so many other parents (moms mostly, and furthermore, MY mom) think that, as a parent, your work is never done. They believe this so much, they actually implement peer pressure to make themselves feel justified. More on that in future blog posts.

In the meantime, I say "FUCK THAT!" The ol' man and I wanted to sit around watching TV, then eat, then drink beer, then watch more TV, then fuck, then go to bed. And that is exactly what we did.

No comments: