Saturday, March 8, 2008

My first blog ever..... re: Jonathan Coulton @ The Birchmere

As the title suggests, this is my first blog. It's been many moon cycles since I've even so much as kept a journal. I often find my writing pretentious, but, ya know, whatever. At least it's there.

I digress. The subject of my first shiny new blog (also found in the title) is a brief review of the magnificent show I had the privilege of attending last eve: Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA. Here goes:

O.....M.....F......G......Z!!!!! The show was amazing! I laughed so hard!

There was a point during Paul and Storm's set where I shouted out "EDDIE PRAEGER!" (because The Ballad of Eddie Praeger is my favorite song of theirs). So Paul sez, "Eddie Praeger?" And I said, "Yeah! You didn't play it last time!" And he said, "OH, ok...... MOM!" And they totally played it! They're totally my bitches! (I know, I'm such a huge nerd!) Also, it's tradition to throw panties up on to the stage during their performance of Opening Band, and the pair we threw (with a $5 bill stuck on by a lovely P&S pin) wound up in Paul's pants. Hilarious!!

And of course, JoCo was awesome, and funny, and handsome! He played a few more of his new songs (not Beige Bear, though we gave him a beige bear anyway), but there were many classics as well. The encore included The First of May and...... wait for it.... Sweet Caroline! He had done that song as a joke the last time he was at the Birchmere and everyone on the rest of the tour started requesting it. It comes 'round full circle. ;) He also did a similar cover tangent during his performance of Soft Rocked By Me, including such soft rock hits from the 70s as songs-that-I-always-recognize-but-never-know-the-names-of. Sorry. It would have been better if I was taking notes on the lyrics. I was just having too much fun!

Seriously people, if you have the privilege of seeing JoCo (and hopefully Paul and Storm as well) in your town, DO IT!

2 comments:

Me said...

it was awesome. it was MADE of awesome. i wanna go again! :-D

Talula the Two-Dollar-Hooker said...

If I could hump that show furiously, I would. :)